School of Education Doctoral Learning Community
Open to all doctoral students in the SoE. Join us for monthly meetings with guest speakers, meet our new faculty, and engage in professional development. Contact the graduate support specialist for more information.
Student Affairs Graduate Association (SAGA)
Open to all student affairs master’s students and others with an interest in student affairs. Contact Paul Hengesteg for more information.
Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis
The Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis (JCTP) is a peer-reviewed, interdisciplinary, open-access journal housed in the School of Education that is run by an editorial board of graduate students from a range of academic departments across the university. JCTP is hosted by the Digital Repository @ Iowa State University, which is managed by Iowa State University Library and powered by Bepress (Berkeley Electronic Press). This journal can be accessed through the Iowa State University library website.
Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS)
The Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS) represents the graduate and professional students’ perspective on campus issues and serves as a liaison between graduate/professional students and the university administration. The School of Education will be represented by the following students for the 2020-2021 school year:
- Amy Updegraff, Ph.D., TLLP/STEM
- Christine Cain, Ph.D., Higher Education
- Imtiajul Alam, Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Studies (HCI, home department in SOE) with work in STEM
Graduate Studies Committee (Graduate Curriculum)
This committee addresses graduate programs, policies, and curriculum. The committee meets twice a month. The current representatives are as follows:
- Paul Hengesteg, Ph.D. representative for the Division of Higher Education (term: August 20, 2019-May 15, 2021)
- Asimoula (Mina) Valai, Ph.D. representative for the Division of Teaching, Learning, Leadership, and Policy (term: August 20, 2018-May 15, 2020).
Graduate Student Advisory Council
This council includes four elected master’s students and four elected doctoral students. The group meets monthly with the Director of Graduate Education to address issues of concern to School of Education graduate students.
- Maggie Bell (M.Ed.)
- Taylor Lee (M.Ed.)
- Alexis Samano (M.Ed.)
- Chuck Wongus (M.Ed.)
- Cassidy Conway (SAGA rep)
- Maria Espino (Jan. 2019-Dec. 2020)
- Rudisang Motshubi (Jan. 2019-Dec. 2020)
- Alicen Morley (Jan. 2020-Dec. 2021)
- Secil Akinci (Jan. 2020-Dec. 2021)
Weekly Graduate Student Updates
Every Friday, you will receive an email update from the School of Education director of graduate education. These updates contain valuable information on a variety of important topics associated with your program of study. In addition, there will be valuable university-wide information. Note: The weekly graduate student update is sent to your Iowa State email address so make sure you are checking your Iowa State email frequently for updates.