Guide and Requirements
- Teacher education decision-making guide for criminal background check results
- Self-reporting requirements
- Student teaching application process
- Appeal process for teacher candidates
- Background check procedure and frequency
- Decision point 1: Admission to teacher education program
- Decision point 1: Early admission to the teacher education program for transfer students
- Transition from former Praxis core exams to current Praxis core exams
- Courses accepted towards educator preparation requirements
- Decision point 2: Requirements candidates must meet prior to student teaching
- Decision point 3: Recommendation for licensure
- Requirements for recommendation for a waiver for a temporary license
- District contracts for placements
- Faculty and supervisor requirements
- Field experience placements in districts with previous relationships
- Length of student teaching experience
- Placing students in schools
- Teacher candidates removing self from student teaching after decision point 2 meetings and prior to start of student teaching
- Teacher candidate requirement to purchase liability insurance
- Trainings required prior to student teaching
- Unsatisfactory practicum or student teaching performance for students pursuing a teaching license
- Violent incident response training
- Educator Preparation Coordinating Council roles, responsibilities, and procedures
- Role of Educator Preparation Program coordinators
- Background check procedures for individuals supervising educator preparation candidates in field experiences
Teacher candidates have the right to appeal Educator Preparation Program policies or practices.
Teacher candidates need to follow the appeal process and complete the appeal form in Tk20. Directions on how to access and complete the appeal form in Tk20 can be found under the Tk20 Quick Guide for Appeals: Teacher Candidates.
In general, teacher candidates needing to appeal an Educator Preparation Program policy or practice will have the following procedure:
- Establish with academic advisor the extenuating circumstances requiring the appeal
- Complete the appeal form in Tk20
- Have the academic advisor review the appeal form in Tk20
- Have that the program coordinator review the appeal form in Tk20
- Attach a recent degree audit or transcript to your appeal form in Tk20
- Attach any other relevant material to support the request for the appeal
- Once the appeal form is complete, contact the Director of Teacher Education Services, following the directions provided
The selection and retention subcommittee will review appeals at its monthly meeting unless extenuating circumstances exist.
Appeal Process Deadlines
The appeal deadlines are as follows:
- For the spring semester, all information must be submitted to the Director of Teacher Education Services by the first Monday in December.
- For the fall semester to be considered prior to summer term, all information must be submitted on Tk20 the first Monday in May.
- Following summer term for fall semester, all information must be submitted on Tk20 by the second Monday in August.
For additional questions, please contact your academic advisor.
Jaime Boeckman (appeals)
Director of Teacher Education Services
142 MacKay Hall
2302 Osborn Road
Ames, Iowa 50011-1078515-294-7559