Accelerate your future with our accelerated Secondary Education, M.A.T.
If you have a bachelor’s degree and want to teach students in grades 5-12, our Master of Arts in Teaching degree is for you! In this accelerated program, you can become a licensed teacher in 12 ~24 months and get your master’s degree.
The program is designed for people who have an undergraduate degree where they completed a good number of courses in one of the following endorsement areas and had a minimum grade of C- in each content-related course.
- 5-12 American Government
- 5-12 American History
- 5-12 Anthropology
- 5-12 Economics
- 5-12 English/Language Arts
- 5-12 Psychology
- 5-12 Sociology
- 5-12 World History
- M.A.T. in Secondary Education (English) application is open for Fall 2023.
- M.A.T. in Secondary Education (Social Studies) application is currently open.
Feb. 1st for summer admission
Mar. 1st for fall admission
Oct. 1st for spring admission.
(The deadlines can be flexible depending on your status. You are encouraged to consult with the program coordinator before submitting an application.)
Step 1: Complete an Application
You will complete the online graduate application by clicking on the button below. This will take you to the Iowa State Admissions portal where you will then be prompted to create an account if you do not already have one.
- Non-admitted students: If you have not previously been admitted to the Graduate College at Iowa State University (or if you have been admitted as a ‘non-degree seeking student’ as opposed to a certificate or degree-seeking program), you must complete the online graduate application through the Iowa State Admissions office. Please disregard any application acceptance dates that may be listed on the Iowa State University-wide admissions site and continue with your application as prompted through their website.
- Previously admitted grad students: If you have previously been admitted to the Graduate College at Iowa State University, do not complete an online graduate application. Instead, please fill out Section I of the “request to transfer from one major/program/department to another” form and submit this form, along with the below required application materials, directly to the graduate support specialist.
Step 2: Upload Documents
Upload your current resume to your online graduate application.
Step 3: Identify References
Identify two references who will provide you letters of support. At least one letter should be from a faculty member at a college or university who can speak to your potential for success as a graduate student. Letters of support should address your:
- written and oral communication skills
- aptitude for advanced study
- creative talent
- potential for a successful career
You will enter the names and email addresses of your three references on your online graduate application. After you submit your application, your references will be emailed a form to fill out. Once your reference completes and submits the form, it’s automatically uploaded to your online graduate application.
Step 4: Obtain Transcripts
Order your official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended. If you have earned a degree at Iowa State, you do not need to order those transcripts because these will already be on file. These should be sent to:
Office of Admissions
100 Enrollment Services Ctr.
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-2011
International applicants only: A TOEFL score of at least 83 or an IELTS score of at least 6.5 is required for consideration for admission to the School of Education. Please upload your official TOEFL or IELTS score report to your online graduate application.