Literacy Coaching Certificate
Iowa State University’s online literacy coaching certificate program is designed to prepare eligible classroom teachers, instructional leaders, and other school personnel to serve in literacy leadership roles with the goal of improving teacher practices and student achievement in diverse Pre K-12 school settings. The program provides a unique opportunity to develop deep expertise in literacy research, policy, practice, and leadership skills.
By completing an Iowa/Common Core State Standards-aligned curriculum that advances the disciplinary-specific literacies cultivated in classrooms, students begin to conceptualize their roles as transformative school leaders capable of stimulating powerful teacher growth and development. Coursework and practicum experiences provide iterative, sustained opportunities for students to consider how they might effectively support, model, and respond to content area teachers working to infuse research-based best practices into their instruction. Graduates leave the program able to deliver culturally responsive, technology-rich literacy support to both pre K-12 teachers and their culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Three-semester online program offered in a learning community environment.
- Credits earned online are the same credits earned on campus. Courses are taught by the same faculty who have a combined 18 years of experience teaching/instructional coaching in pre K-12 classrooms and an additional combined 13 years teaching in post-secondary settings.
- Iowa resident and non-Iowa resident students enrolled in this program pay in-state tuition
- Credits may apply to a degree. The credits earned while enrolled in the certificate program may count towards a Master of Education or a Master of Science in Education with an emphasis in literacy, or a Ph.D. in Education with an emphasis in literacy, if accepted by the POSC.
Note: The literacy coaching certificate program is not a state teaching license or an endorsement on any teaching license.
The Master of Science in Education with an emphasis in literacy and the Ph.D. in Education with an emphasis in literacy are not offered online.
The Literacy Coaching Certificate is currently undergoing renewal and applications are not being accepted at this time.
All students enrolled in the online Literacy Coaching Certificate program are assessed tuition, a delivery fee and a technology fee.
- Off-campus students (students taking no face-to-face courses) are assessed in-state tuition regardless of residency.
- On-campus students (students taking at least one face-to-face course) are assessed tuition according to their residency plus additional fees for campus services.
- Additional fees apply. Please check the ISU tuition and fees page for detailed information.