Instructional Design Certificate
The Instructional Design (ID) Certificate offers a structured educational experience, rich in theory and aligned to professional and practical needs, for those who wish to take their design career to the next level.
The ID certificate is a 12-credit online program, with three foundational courses and a range of engaging electives, that will provide learners with the knowledge, tools, and strategies for success in industry, education, professional development, and other training settings. Our award-winning faculty specialize in game-based learning, online learning design, development, and evaluation, open education resources, social media, equitable design, and technology and teacher education. Some program’s highlights are:
- Courses can accommodate to students at a distance
- Program can be completed in 2-3 semesters
- Elective online courses explore emerging topics in ID
- Opportunity to learn how to design, develop, and evaluate online, blended, and flexible learning environments
- Online courses make use of educational technology best practices for teaching and learning
- Opportunity to explore new and emerging technology tools to enhance teaching and learning
All credits earned toward the ID Certificate may be transferred and become part of a program of study (POS) of a master or doctoral degree, including:
- A Master of Education or a Master of Science in Education with an emphasis in educational technology
- A Ph.D. in Education with an emphasis in educational technology
Completion of the certificate does not guarantee admission into a SOE master’s or doctoral program.
Note: Current ISU graduate students enrolled in a Master of Education or Ph.D in Education program are strongly encouraged to submit the Request to Pursue a Certificate in Addition to a Graduate Degree form before completing more than 6 credits toward the certificate.