Q: Can I receive an application fee waiver?
A: Starting with Fall 2024 applications, application fees can be differed until after applications are reviewed. Students that are offered admission will need to pay the application fee to be able to accept their admission. The fee may also be added to the first Ubill payment of the student’s first semester.

Q: The program I am applying for is not an option on the application. What does that mean?
A: The application system lists majors and specializations for you to choose when selecting a program. Some of the School of Education programs are considered “emphasis areas” rather than specializations. If you do not see the program you are applying for listed in the application, select “no specialization” and then list your desired program in the interests/research area field.

Q: What are the English proficiency requirements?
A: The Graduate College at Iowa State University has established a policy for nonnative speakers of English. If you have earned a bachelor’s or higher degree from a country where English is the only official language, you may have already met the English proficiency requirement.

Q: How much does a Program cost?
A: Tuitions costs are calculated by the number of credits a students is enrolled in each term. These costs are listed by the Office of the Registrar. Students that are on a Graduate Assistantship will be charged the Graduate Assistant tuition rate. Assistantships will include a monthly stipend and a tuition award for a portion of the total tuition cost.

Student admitted to fully online programs will be charge the in-state tuition rate and have reduced fees compared to on-campus students.

Q: Are Assistantships availability for graduate students?
A: Most graduate students are eligible for graduate assistantships, but are not guaranteed. Some programs require students obtain an assistantship as part of the application process, i.e. Student Affairs. Other programs do not require assistantships, but both the School of Education and other units on campus offer assistantships to our students every year that can be applied for.

Q: As an international student, am I eligible to apply?
A: International s tudents are eligible to apply to School of Education graduate programs,but other requirements may make applicants ineligible. Please check the specific program webpages for admission requirements.

Q: Do I need a Masters to apply for a Doctoral degree?
A: Yes, applicants to our doctoral programs should have a masters completed by the time they would start in the doctoral program.

Q: Is Financial Aid available?
A: Funding opportunities are available. The Financing a Graduate Degree webpage outlines numerous opportunities. Additionally, the School of Education has applications for scholarships each year for returning students.

Q: Are programs fully funded? How do I get funding?
A: No program is able to fully guarantee funding. Many students are able to fully or partially fund their studies through graduate assistantships and scholarships.

Q: How do I apply?
A: Apply through the online application on the Office of Admissions website.

Q: When are applications due?
A: Because of the wide variety of programs we offer, there are different application deadlines for each program. Please refer to the program websites for specific dates.

Q: How do I get more information?
A: Explore our program websites or contact soegradsupport@iastate.edu with your questions.

Contact with Questions:
Graduate Support Specialist